Microsoft edge node now available in Equinix’s IL2 Istanbul data center
ISTANBUL, Turkey — February 03, 2021 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the world’s digital infrastructure company, today announced a new Microsoft edge node, now available in Equinix’s International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) in Istanbul, IL2 in collaboration with Türk Telekom’s subsidiary TTI. This new deployment means Equinix customers in Turkey can access Microsoft Azure via the Microsoft global network and through Azure ExpressRoute remotely, via Equinix Fabric™. This allows customers in Turkey to accelerate their digital transformation through access to the full range of Azure Services including Hybrid + Multicloud, AI + Machine Learning, IoT and Windows Virtual Desktop.
Remote access to Azure via Equinix Fabric—an on-demand platform that enables Equinix customers to discover and dynamically connect to any other customer via Equinix’s global platform—helps digital leaders to transform their business as they connect to everything and everyone necessary to their company’s success. Utilizing the resulting predictable, flexible, and reliable network performance, enterprises can build comprehensive hybrid multicloud strategies to support today’s digital demand.
The new availability was established in collaboration with Turk Telekom International (TTI), which provided its connectivity and internet services to ensure the successful deployment of the Microsoft edge node at IL2. The partnership between Equinix, Microsoft and TTI, enables the provision of quality connectivity across diverse routes, to leading internet service providers.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Equinix customers across the world can also now remotely access Azure Regions via Azure ExpressRoute and Equinix Fabric through an easy-to-use portal and a single connection to the Equinix platform. These connections bypass the public Internet and offer reliable, faster connections to Microsoft Azure, helping customers to scale their networks to accommodate today’s escalating remote workforce demands and prepare for tomorrow’s business requirements.
- Secure connectivity to strategic cloud service providers, like Microsoft, is essential as digital transformation fuels higher demand for localized digital services at the edge. According to the Global Interconnection Index (GXI) Volume 4 a market study by Equinix, interconnection—the direct and private exchange of data between businesses—is enabling enterprises to gain a competitive advantage by integrating a wide variety of service providers, including networks, at the digital edge. This private connectivity is expected to increase by 5 times between 2019 and 2023 in the EMEA region.
- Equinix has been a Microsoft Gold Cloud Platform provider since June 2017. The designation recognizes the company’s ongoing commitment to helping enterprise customers worldwide achieve seamless, on-demand access to Azure and Microsoft Office 365. Equinix hosts 30 public Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute nodes globally, with dedicated experts advising customers across the Middle East including Turkey, U.S., Canada, Latin America, South America, UK, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.
- Turk Telekom International is an official business partner of Equinix as an authorized reseller of Equinix products and services. Supporting the leading internet service providers in the region, as-well-as operators and enterprise customers, TTI provides essential connectivity infrastructure for businesses to succeed in the digital economy by deploying its robust network capabilities through the coordinated efforts of its international teams. TTI is providing Microsoft with point-to-point telecommunication paths on three diverse routes between IL2 and Europe. Furthermore, TTI’s resilient IP/MPLS network now enables businesses and Microsoft Edge to come closer to exchange information and services at IL2.
- Levent Özbilgin, Managing Director, Turkey, Microsoft:
“We are pleased to expand our relationship with Equinix, this time in Turkey with the provision of remote access to Microsoft Azure via Equinix Fabric. Equinix’s interconnection and data center platform will enable our customers in Turkey to build extensible hybrid cloud architectures, addressing today’s accelerated digital requirements, and emerging stronger in the months to come.”
- Şükrü Kutlu, Chief Executive Officer, Turkey, Turk Telekom International Group:
“To meet the increasing demands of the global business environment, we continually expand our product and service portfolio for our enterprise customers. We enable our enterprise customers to build flexible, reliable, and cost-efficient hybrid cloud architectures for improved business performance. We are excited to be the telco partner of Equinix and Microsoft in this project”
- Aslıhan Güreşcier, Managing Director, Turkey, Equinix:
“We are delighted to partner with Microsoft for the deployment of a new Microsoft edge node in our IL2 data center in Istanbul. The deployment will allow our customers to harness the unique capabilities of hybrid cloud, providing them with a more flexible, reliable and predictable network performance.”
- Digital Demand Forecasted to Drive 45% Growth in Interconnection [blog]
- Equinix 2019-20 Global Tech Trends Survey [report]
- Learn more about Equinix Fabric™ [website]
- Learn more about Microsoft Azure at Equinix [website]
- Global Interconnection Index (GXI) Volume 4 [report]
- Multicloud and Edge Top IT Leaders’ Priority Lists [press release]